Mandeville Pedestrian Accident
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you need a capable and experienced lawyer who can protect your rights, take on the insurance company, and get you the settlement you deserve.
The dedicated Mandeville, LA personal injury lawyers at Trainor Law Firm have represented numerous pedestrian accident victims over the years and recovered substantial damages through negotiation as well as litigation. We are prepared to go the extra mile to get what you deserve.
What are the Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Mandeville, LA?
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Turning at intersections without looking for pedestrians
- Failing to yield the right of way to pedestrians at crosswalks
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Poor visibility (due to bad weather or due to pedestrians wearing dark colors at night)
What Kind of Injuries Can You Suffer in a Pedestrian Accident?
The severity of injuries resulting from a pedestrian accident depends on a wide variety of factors including:
- The age of the pedestrian (children and older people are at a much higher risk of suffering serious or fatal injuries compared to those in other age groups)
- The speed of the vehicle
- The angle of impact
- The part of the body that is hit by the vehicle
- Height of the vehicle
- Whether the pedestrian is run over by the vehicle or if they are tossed over the hood
The most common types of injuries that can result from a pedestrian accident include:
- Torn ligaments
- Broken bones
- Crush injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
There are several hospitals in and around Mandeville where you can get the medical care you need following a pedestrian accident. These include Lakeview Regional Medical Center, Fairway Medical Center, and AVALA Hospital.
Damages That Can Be Recovered in a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Mandeville, LA
- Expenses associated with your treatment.
- Estimated cost of the treatment you might need in the future.
- Cost of physical rehabilitation, occupational therapy, and psychotherapy.
- Lost earnings.
- Earnings you stand to lose in the future due to your injuries.
- Loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress.
- Diminished quality of life.
Apart from the aforementioned damages, you might also be awarded punitive damages – if the at-fault party is found to have acted in a grossly negligent manner. The most common example of gross negligence is driving under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs and injuring someone badly.
Louisiana’s Comparative Negligence Law
Louisiana is a comparative negligence state and allows you to recover damages even if you were partially responsible for the accident. At the same time, your compensation will be reduced based on the extent of your own negligence.
For example, if you are awarded a sum of $100,000, and if you are found to be 15% responsible for the accident, you will only receive $85,000.
This is one of the important reasons why you need to have a competent pedestrian accident lawyer on your side. Depending on the circumstances, the at-fault party might try to blame you entirely for the accident or exaggerate your involvement in the accident – so that they can get away with paying you next to nothing. A committed and proven lawyer can refute these accusations, prove the at-fault party’s liability, and make sure you get the compensation you are entitled to.
Deadline for Filing a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Mandeville, LA
Under Louisiana law, the deadline for filing negligence-based tort claims – commonly referred to as the statute of limitations – is set at one year. It’s considerably shorter than the deadline for filing tort claims in most other states. If you do not file the claim within the one-year deadline, you will lose your right to recover damages from the at-fault party.
How Our Mandeville, LA Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help You
When you hire a personal injury lawyer from Trainor Law Firm, we will get to work right away and take steps to build your claim. These include:
- Making sure you get the medical care you need by negotiating a lien agreement with a healthcare provider.
- Investigating the accident with the help of private investigators, accident recreation experts, and forensic experts and determining who can be held liable.
- Gathering the evidence needed to bolster your claim and establish the fault and liability of the defendant.
- Interviewing eyewitnesses.
- Consulting with medical professionals, mental health professionals, rehabilitation experts, and vocational experts to determine the severity of your injuries, their impact on your earning capacity, and the earnings you stand to lose in order to calculate the value of your claim.
- Communicating with the at-fault party’s insurance company on your behalf.
- Negotiating with the claims adjuster on your behalf.
In 9 out of 10 cases, we can get an adequate amount of compensation from the insurance company through negotiations. If the insurance company makes an unreasonably low settlement offer and stubbornly refuses to pay what you deserve, we will take your case to trial, arguing before a jury or judge, and recover the damages you are owed.
Injured in a Pedestrian Accident? Get a Top-Rated Mandeville, LA Personal Injury Lawyer on Your Side
At Trainor Law Firm, we have extensive experience in handling pedestrian accident claims and have a track record of obtaining substantial settlements and jury awards for our clients. Our founder – Brian F. Trainor – is a former prosecutor who knows how the state’s justice system works and how judges and juries make their decisions.
This is why our legal team is able to stay a step ahead of insurance companies, negotiate from a position of strength, and get our clients the compensation they deserve. Call our firm today at 985-900-2250 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Mandeville, LA pedestrian accident lawyer.