Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Lacombe, LA
Louisiana is considered one of the most dangerous states for pedestrians in the country – this is on top of all the carjacking in New Orleans but that’s another topic. Between 2016 and 2020, a total of 668 pedestrians were killed in Louisiana at a fatality rate of 2.86 deaths per 100,000 residents, which makes it the sixth most dangerous state for pedestrians in the country.
Like most other cities in Louisiana, Lacombe is also designed primarily for the convenience of motorists and not pedestrians. Moreover, many drivers are unaware of or simply do not seem to care about the fact that pedestrians have their own rights – just like other road users. It’s one of the reasons why so many pedestrians are killed by negligent drivers every year.
If you have been injured or have lost someone in your family in a pedestrian accident, the experienced Lacombe, LA pedestrian accident lawyers at Trainor Law Firm can help you get justice. We can hold the at-fault parties fully accountable for their negligence and take all possible steps to recover the maximum amount of compensation possible.
The Risk of Serious and Fatal Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents in Lacombe, LA
A collision involving a pedestrian and a motor vehicle even at low speeds can result in devastating injuries. Even if a pedestrian is knocked down by a vehicle making a rolling stop, they can suffer serious injuries, ranging from torn ligaments and tendons to dislocations, broken bones, and concussion due to the fact that they do not have any sort of protection.
A high-speed collision with a motor vehicle, tragically, is almost always fatal for a pedestrian. They can suffer internal organ damage, spinal cord injuries, or brain injuries, all of which can be fatal.
Hospitals near Lacombe, LA Where You Can Get Treated for Pedestrian Accident Injuries
- AVALA Hospital
- Sterling Surgical Hospital
- Lakeview Hospital
- Our Lady of the Lake Surgical Hospital
- Ochsner Medical Center – North Shore
- Slidell Memorial Hospital
- Saint Tammany Parish Hospital
Damages You Can Recover in a Lacombe, LA Pedestrian Accident Claim
The economic damages you can recover in a pedestrian accident claim include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Cost of buying assistive devices like walkers and wheelchairs
- Cost of rehabilitation and therapy
- Cost of long-term care and assisted living (in the event of permanent and total disability)
- Lost earnings
- Loss of earning capacity
The non-economic damages you can recover in a pedestrian accident claim include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of quality of life
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim after a Fatal Pedestrian Accident in Lacombe, LA
Pedestrian accidents often result in fatal injuries for the person involved. If you have lost someone in a pedestrian accident, you have the right to bring a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party and recover monetary damages.
Under Louisiana law, the family members of the deceased have the right to file a wrongful death claim. These include the spouse, children, parents, siblings, and grandparents. If there are no surviving family members, the estate of the deceased has the right to bring a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party.
The economic damages you can recover in a wrongful death claim include the cost of medical treatment and care provided to the deceased until their death, funeral expenses, loss of future income, and loss of inheritance.
The non-economic damages you can recover in a wrongful death claim include pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of companionship from the deceased, loss of consortium, and loss of quality of life.
How Louisiana’s Pure Comparative Negligence Law Can Impact Your Pedestrian Accident Compensation
Louisiana follows the legal doctrine of pure comparative negligence, under which you are legally entitled to receive compensation even if you were partially at fault for the accident.
The best part is that Louisiana does not have the 50% bar rule – under which you can lose your right to recover damages if your share of fault equals or exceeds 50%. What it means is that you have the right to recover compensation – regardless of your share of fault.
At the same time, the compensation awarded to you will be reduced in proportion to your share of the fault. For example, if you are found to be 60% at fault for the accident, your compensation will be reduced by 60% and you will only receive the remaining 40%.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians to Minimize the Risk of Accidents in Lacombe, LA
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Do not use your cell phone, tablet, or any other handheld device while you are walking on the road – particularly while crossing the road.
- Look both ways for oncoming vehicles before crossing the road.
- If you want to cross the road in front of a stopped car, make sure it has come to a complete stop and the driver can see you.
- Look out for vehicles entering and exiting parking lots and driveways while you are walking.
- Walk on sidewalks whenever possible. If there is no sidewalk, walk along the edge of the road and stay as far away from the traffic as possible.
- Cross the road only at intersections and crosswalks to the extent possible. If there’s not any crosswalk, you must yield the right of way to oncoming vehicles and wait for a gap in traffic to cross the road.
- Avoid walking while you are drunk or under the influence of drugs.
- Wear bright-colored clothing to make sure you can be seen by motorists. Carry a flashlight with you if possible.
Choose the Leading Lacombe, LA Pedestrian Accident Attorneys to Protect Your Rights
A pedestrian accident can leave you with catastrophic injuries, mounting medical bills, and substantial loss of earnings. During this difficult time, you need dedicated legal support from an experienced Lacombe, LA pedestrian accident lawyer to get the justice and compensatory damages you deserve.
Attorney Brian F. Trainor has extensive experience in representing pedestrian accident victims and has a track record of success that few can boast of. A former Assistant District Attorney, Brian uses his prosecutorial experience to build solid claims for his clients and get them the compensation they deserve.
To schedule a free consultation with one of our highly rated Lacombe, LA pedestrian accident attorneys, call us today at 985-900-2250 or get in touch with us online.